Saturday, 7 August 2010

Welcome, welcome to my shiny, spanking new blog..


After much talk, a bit of a think and many “you really should have a blog” remarks from friends and colleagues etc, I finally made one. It’s mostly to show my work as an illustrator and artist and will soon be followed by various other bits of ‘online media presence’ (I’m right on the crest of the zeitgeist, me).

Anyhow, I’m Victoria and I live and work in the North East of England. I’ve worked as an amateur artist since I got my first commission aged 14 – a Newcastle United themed painting for a family friend for her teenaged son’s bedroom. Whilst the painting was sitting in a Framers in town waiting to be mounted and framed, a passing customer went into the shop and asked if it was for sale. It was the first time I realised that I might be talented enough to make a living from things I made. Since then I’ve worked purely to word-of-mouth recommendation. Until now anyway, what with getting myself that aforementioned online presence.

I suppose I should keep my blog posts formal and professional, but I don’t wanna. I'd like to be more natural, informal, borderline gossipy and occasionally childish and it’s my blog so I’ll cry if I want to. Short of inventing a super-witty and fantastic online persona my anonymity is out the window anyway. I have no secret desire to be Prime Minister, so it probably won’t matter. Or a spy. Though obviously I could be both if I wanted.

So, I like to design/make/do loads of arty and crafty stuff – paint, draw, doodle, sketch, colour, cut, glue, stick, sew, print, collage, dismantle, reassemble, and photograph. These things make me happy. Selling the resulting stuff I’ve made also makes me happy. It’s a win-win situation.

Alongside my own work I’d like to share work by other artists I love and possibly some random gubbins I see that I think you might fancy a look at, or places/events I’ve been to.

I have lots to do this week, so it’s either a good day to be starting a blog as there’s things to talk about, or a bad day given that I’m trying to finish so many things that I’m writing this at 3am.

On the to-do/halfway-through list this week are: a pencil drawing of a church, a little watercolour of an illuminated initial, a personalised cup, a fancy wedding card, a Noah’s Ark birth plate, a wedding ‘save the date’, design a website and make a dress and fascinator. By end of Friday you say? Easy peasy lemon squeezy..

So, welcome, welcome one and all. I aim to update this regularly, who wants to open a book on how long that lasts? :-)


V x

No comments:

Post a Comment